Politech mailing list archives

FC: A true Y2K disaster: NBC's Sunday night movie

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:15:35 -0500

********

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,32578,00.html

                     A True Y2K Disaster: the Movie
                     by Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

                     3:00 a.m. 20.Nov.1999 PST
                     Terrifying the public can be a dodgy
                     undertaking nowadays, and in fin de
                     siecle America it's not hard to see why.
                     After a formulaic procession of quotidian
                     disaster flicks such as Asteroid, Deep
                     Impact, and Volcano, audiences seem to
                     be rendered catatonic by catastrophe.

                     NBC's Y2K, airing Sunday at 9 p.m., falls
                     just as flat.

                     Technical glitches and Y2K woes are an
                     unconvincing pretext for what turns out
                     to be a rather pedestrian action movie, in
                     which our Hero Designate
                     (Thirtysomething's Ken Olin as Nick
                     Cromwell) must pull the plug on a Seattle
                     nuclear power plant before it vomits
                     radioactive detritus over much of North
                     America. Bonus incentive: His daughter
                     and wife are downwind.

                     Sound familiar? It should. Anyone who's
                     suffered through similar
                     brink-of-the-apocalypse flicks knows
                     what happens next. (It's no coincidence
                     that the movie's executive producer is
                     David Israel, creator of the even more
                     banal viral-terror miniseries Pandora's
                     Clock.)

                     In fact, the most interesting thing about
                     Y2K might be the buzz. Can fictitious
                     depictions of a jet screaming toward the
                     Potomac River, blackouts spreading from
                     Virginia to Canada, and cash machines
                     not doing what they're told panic
                     Americans?

                     Without even seeing the two-hour movie,
                     industry groups have become as jittery as
                     Bill Gates near a pie factory.

                     [...]