Politech mailing list archives

FC: Wired News' three year anniversary today

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:56:43 -0500

Today is the three year anniversary of Wired News, which succeeded
HotWired, the web site for Wired magazine that launched back in the dawn of
the commercial Internet. hotwired.com was the first site to use banner ads,
for instance. It was also one of the first to try -- and then abandon --
user registration for online communities and chat areas.

I had left Wired for Time Inc. before the 1996 launch. Three years ago this
week I was writing about the demise of the cypherpunks mailing list and
HP's key recovery plan:
  http://www.pathfinder.com/time/digital/daily/0,2822,11535,00.html
  http://www.pathfinder.com/time/digital/daily/0,2822,11533,00.html

-Declan

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,32625,00.html

                     Wired News Turns a Mature 3
                     by Craig Bicknell

                     11:10 a.m. 18.Nov.1999 PST
                     [...]
                     Then, as now, we wrote about the sparks
                     that fly when technology butts up
                     against life. When the past and present
                     grind against the future. Change.

                     We wrote some smart things (Y2K is
                     gonna be a big boon for consultants), we
                     wrote some not-so-smart things (this Y2K
                     thing seems way over-hyped).

                     The now-infamous Matt Drudge penned
                     an inaugural column. The Spice Girls will
                     be the next big thing, he predicted, right
                     here on this very URL. Ah yes, the future,
                     delivered daily.

                     Three years. Hope we've kept you
                     informed and entertained. Hope you'll
                     stick around for our next birthday, when
                     we turn 28, which ought to be good for
                     an amusing, pre-30 meaning-of-life crisis.

                     Now for a glass to the past. The first
                     day's fare...

Drudge Hollywood: Chelsea Meets Butt-head
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,427,00.html

Web Entrepreneur Scores With Millennium Bug Hype
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,491,00.html

TCI Pulls $125 Million MSN Investment
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,452,00.html

Medical Ganja-to-Go Site Comes Down
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,408,00.html

Electric Minds' 'Illusion' Draws 2,000 First-Week Members
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,495,00.html

It's MailBank's Net. We Just Surf It
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,96,00.html

Others' Names Are Voguemail's Business
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,156,00.html

World's First Robot2Robot Chat Room
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,498,00.html

Adding Insult to Online Services' Injuries
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,467,00.html

Web Entrepreneur Scores With Millennium Bug Hype
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,491,00.html

The Spin Hits the Fan at Comdex
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,494,00.html

Regulators Question AOL's New Prices
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,469,00.html

Redmond Report: The Lower-Caste Life of a Microsoft Temp
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,446,00.html

Gates' Neighbors Cry NIMBY Over Unsightly Towers
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,490,00.html

Clinton Must Not Shirk China
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,465,00.html

When Will Old Media Grasp the Revolution?
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,462,00.html

Wal-Mart Sanitizes Art, Soils First Amendment
http://www.wired.com/news/story/0,1240,449,00.html