Politech mailing list archives

FC: Y2K roundup of Chernobyl, bank runs, martial law, toilets etc.

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 11:16:31 -0500

I realized today I haven't written anything about Y2K for a little while.
So here's my report on Chernobyl, martial law, bank runs, toilets,
blackouts, and all the usual Y2K wackiness:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,32855,00.html

                     Chernobyl Says It's Ready
                     by Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

                     7:00 a.m. 3.Dec.1999 PST
                     It sounds like a bad made-for-TV movie,
                     and in fact it was.

                     But for already-once-irradiated folks living
                     within a few thousand miles of the
                     Chernobyl nuclear reactor, Y2K is hardly
                     fiction. The infamous accident killed 31
                     people and belched a radioactive cloud
                     over Europe in a nasty series of events
                     that prompted the G-7 nations to pay
                     Ukraine to pull the plug on the
                     once-and-hopefully-not-future nuclear
                     nightmare.

                     But closure of the remaining Number
                     Three unit won't happen until 2000.

                     Is it rid of Y2K woes? "I wouldn't like to
                     say categorically that nothing will
                     happen, but we are prepared for
                     practically any situation," says shift
                     supervisor Viktor Kuchinsky.