Politech mailing list archives

FC: KQED Forum Wed; More on President Clinton and Y2K

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:54:51 -0800

*********

[I will be on KQED's "Forum" (88.5 FM) in the Bay Area this Wednesday from
9:00-10:00 a.m., chatting with Michael Krasny about "Y2K: The social and
psychological impact."]

*********

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:39:08 -0800
To: declan () well com
From: Steve Schear <schear () lvcm com>
Subject: Re: FC: President Clinton says feds have fixed their Y2K probs

At 10:37 AM 12/14/99 -0800, you wrote:

(a) I'll believe it when I hear it from GAO
(b) What about the non-"mission critical" systems?

I' may believe it by the middle of 2000 when those who may have fibbed can
no longer hide any ugly truths.  Especially unbelievable as fixed are the
IRS (IT head Gross quit in late '98 after implying to Congress he could see
no way the mess could be fixed in time) and SSA (who's dependency on
accurate state agency data is critical).

--Steve

*********