Politech mailing list archives

FC: Armey asks for Fidnet privacy reassurances from Janet Reno

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 18:09:20 -0500

**********

December 6, 1999
The Honorable Janet Reno, Attorney General
US Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

Dear Attorney General Reno,

      On September 27, I wrote to you seeking clarification of the
Administration's policies regarding online privacy - specifically as related
to encryption export controls and federal monitoring of online networks.
Although I had asked for a response by October 15, I have still not received
any answers to my questions.

I have seen, however,  the draft regulations released by the U.S. Department
of Commerce on November 24.  Unfortunately, they seem to fall short of the
rhetoric employed when the new Administration position was announced.  The
rules seem overly prescriptive and excessively bureaucratic.  Since these
are only draft regulations, however, I am willing to reserve judgement until
the rules are final.  I urge you to take another look at the provisions of
HR 850, the SAFE Act, when crafting the final version - the bill has
overwhelming bipartisan support and was scheduled for floor action when the
Administration announced it's reversal on encryption export policy.

Online privacy issues, like encryption, need to be handled in an open and
straightforward manner.  As this Christmas shopping season has demonstrated,
e-commerce is here to stay, but it will only continue to flourish if
consumers have confidence that their online transactions are secure.  The
Administration cannot continue to unveil important online policy changes
without adequate public vetting and explanation.  A failure to communicate
can lead to a lack of confidence in the online environment.

This is particularly true with regard to network security issues.  FIDNet,
and other related computer network monitoring proposals, have raised many
concerns about the federal government "cybersnooping" on online
transactions.  While I share the Administration's goal of protecting
government computer networks from outside intruders, there are serious
policy questions about how best to achieve security in a way that protects
personal privacy.

The few answers that have been forthcoming are often vague and even
contradictory.  For example, your September 24 letter states "As envisioned,
FIDNet is being designed to monitor federal executive branch computer
networks for intrusions, not private networks or the Internet in general."
Yet National Journal's Tech Daily reported on October 20 that "The
Department of Justice is cultivating controversial plans to avoid or repeal
portions of the Freedom of Information Act because of concerns the law might
keep businesses from playing a crucial role in the Clinton Administration's
computer network security plans."

Is this article accurate?  If there is no private sector role in the
"National Plan," why would FOIA have to be waived?  Or was your answer to my
initial letter simply that FIDNet itself is not designed to monitor private
networks, but that other components of the Administration's network security
plan will involve private networks?

I feel very strongly that Congress should not authorize or appropriate any
funds to implement the "National Plan," until the details of the plan are
carefully scrutinized and debated by the Congress and the public at-large.
Congress will not put the confidence of the American people in their online
transactions at risk by prematurely supporting a plan that has not yet seen
the light of day.  I hope you will take this opportunity to reassure the
public that there is no Administration effort to invade personal privacy
before releasing the "National Plan" later this year.

The American people will not simply "trust" that the Justice Department,
which allowed 900 FBI files containing personal information about American
citizens to be released into unauthorized hands (i.e. Craig Livingstone),
will be more careful with their online privacy.

People are very interested in preserving their personal security online.
The future of e-commerce depends on it.  I urge you to work with Congress to
bring these important Internet privacy issues to the forefront where they
can be openly discussed and debated before the public.  I am certain that
the Administration shares our commitment to online privacy.  Please take
this opportunity to demonstrate it by providing more clarity and light to
the encryption export rules and the FIDNet proposals.

                              Sincerely,

                              DICK ARMEY
                              House Majority Leader

Cc:    Secretary of Commerce, William M. Daley
Secretary of  Defense, William S. Cohen
      National Security Adviser,  Samuel R. Berger
Chief Counselor for Privacy at OMB, Peter Swire