Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Choosing an Independent Penetration Testing Firm

From: Owen Connolly <ojconnolly () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 12:10:56 +0000

OKŠ

There are 2 sides to the advice I'll give youŠ I've previously worked on
both sides of the fence! :-)

For their side:

1.  You need to meet the person who leads their pen test practice.  That
will allow you to get a feel for the attitude of the organisation.
2.  Ask to see their methodology?  Does it stand up to scrutiny? Do a
contrast and compare with the free standards out there:
        A. OSSTMM
        B. PTES
        C. NIST SP 800-115
        D. OWASP Testing Guide
        E. Pen Testing framework

3. Ask for the qualifications of the team that will be performing your pen
test.
4. Sample reports would be good, but without context they're often just
pretty pictures and vague text, so don't rely on them.

For Your side:

1. What service do you want?
        A. A one off pen test to tick a box?
        B. A recurring contract for Quarterly/Yearly/Ad Hoc Pen tests?
        C. Option A with remediation advice and a re-test?
        D. Haven't really thought about it and probably need advice? :-)

2. What are your rules of engagement?
        A. Full on/No holds barred bad guy style attempt?
        B. A glorified vulnerability scan?
        C. Something in the middle, but not sure what? :-)

3. What's your budget?
        A. Unlimited?
        B. Non-existent?
        C. Actually need to put together a business case and take it to the PTB!
:-)

Are you getting a picture here? The more professionally you engage with
the organisations the more professionally they'll respond and the amateurs
will drop by the waysideŠ

If you haven't done this before, then I'd suggest bringing in a consultant
to help you understand your requirements, build the business case and then
put together a proper RFI/RFP for the work involved.

Cheers,

ojc