Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Stealing Wireless Password with fake ap

From: Mat TimeofWheel <matanddie () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:22:29 +0300

Hi everyone;

I have an interesting (at least for me) question.

ESSID of my real AP is test
BSSID of my real AP: 1F:X:X:X:X:X
Password of my real AP: 12345678 (WPA2)

I have created a fake AP with ESSID test and BSSID 1F:X:X:X:X:X

   1. From my netbook, i first connected to my real AP and i can capture
   4-way handshake.
   2. Then i shut down real AP
   3. Then i open fake AP
   4. My netbook connected to fake AP.

However i can not capture 4-way handshake ? I really wonder why ? My fake
AP is same as real AP. So my netbook should send password to my fake AP ?

Shortly, i'm trying to steal passwords with fake APs and i can not do it.