Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: CEH program and Sybex Study Guide

From: Robert Musser <rmusser2209 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:08:46 -0700

I have something to add here, I'm currently enrolled in the eCPPT course, I'm on the last module and am about to start
doing the online web app pentests as practice for the test. I have not taken the oscp. From what I've seen and
understand, the course(eCPPT) itself is nice in the sense it's a reference organized nicely and you have lifetime
access to it. The forums are not that active and the test is penetrating a web app, not a full box you need to own. If
you have the time, money, and dedication go straight for the oscp, as it's $250 more than the eCPPT for 60 days lab
access. If not then the eCPPT  is fine, just be aware that the focus is on web app technologies. As for my background,
I have no security Certs, have not worked in a Securuty related field and hold the MS-70-680/686 MCITP:EDA. I have
followed computer security for the past 8 years as a hobby. One thing I highly recommend you purchasing and reading
front to cover for the eCPPT is the 2nd edition of the web app hackers handbook. It has really helped me and I highly
suggest it. (along with OWASP of course...)
-