Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Data in transit (with a twist)...

From: Bog Witch <iambogwitch () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:22:40 +0000

Hi Cribbar,

It would help if you could define exactly what standards you need to
adhere to. Is this HMG info?

It is fairly clear that you are indicating that the best solution will
be to encrypt all the data being stored on the tapes, is there a
reason for you NOT doing this? (apart from cost)

With regard to the third-party contractor securely erasing HDDs for
you, I would urge caution. I was recently offered 2nd hand laptops
that were being sold off (through the back door) from a disposals
company. The company had accreditation. It would be far better for you
to securely erase your own hard disk drives or physically destroy them
on-site. The stated requirements for a 7x (or 35x!) overwrite are
based on VERY old HDD densities and an overwrite of one or two passes
should be sufficient to prevent recovery by all but a fully-funded
government organisation (and they would probably have more efficient
ways to spend their money) That said, if you're working to a mandated
policy, you may have to stick to it.

HTH,

Bog