Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IT Audit vs Pen-Test

From: vito.nozza () gmail com
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:22:03 +0000

Crib, this is a question that does not have a simple answer.  Since both are encomassed in the what the client
requires...I will try to answer both in general terms.

When I am asked to perform a pen test, I start by examining the systems that the client has.  I start from external
sources, ie FW, Routers, etc.  Perform port testing ot check for vulnerabilities.  Then move to systems internally.

An IT audit encompasses the entire IT domain, ie. physical, operational and technical.  Where a pen test is primarily
tech to find vulnerabilities, an audit provides a look into a security domain to ensure the policy is being upheld.
I find an IT audit is much more complex and encompasses more detail of the overall company.  Although it could include
a pen test, it primarily ensures proper guards and procedures are in place.

Hope this helps.