Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to Pen Test Crazy

From: MetaJunkie <metajunkie () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:02:14 -0400

Pete,

I liked your article.

I agree with at least 90% of it.  The part that I'm concerned with is
regarding comments that could negatively impact patch-management.  At
the risk of making any Buddhist endeavour of slaying the ego more
difficult for you - you should understand that you have become a voice
that carries weight in the infosec community.  While I can agree that
if your entire InfoSec Program is focussed on "security through
patchity", you are destined to lose at some point; I find it difficult
to reconcile the realities of the necessity to patch systems with the
following statement from your article:

             ... "Furthermore it's also perpetuating security through
patchity, a process that's so labor intensive to assure homeostasis
that nobody could maintain it indefinitely which is the exact
definition of a loser in the cat and mouse game."

I have followed ISECOM since early Idea Hamster days - and I continue
to approve of the out-of-the-box thinking that is promoted by you and
everyone involved.  I don't think you are saying that patches are
unimportant - but the quote above might lead someone to think that
they might as well not try - because they are a dead mouse anyway.

If what you are saying is that we need more being done to secure
information, then I agree with you (and as an InfoSec Professional I
do more).  But, if you are implying that patching and vulnerability
assessment is not required - I think you might be a part of the
'crazy' you have written about here.

Are we in agreement that patching, and vulnerability assessment should
be a part of the whole machine - but not the machine itself?

-metajunkie