Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Testing IPS with virtual vs real attacks

From: Dan Catalin Vasile <danvasile () pentest ro>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:11:39 +0200

A quick hint to problem 1:

The IPS is behaving in a normal way.

First
nmap -sS -n -p 80,443  192.168.1.101 -> is scanning only two common
ports, even if SYN is used, it's not so uncommon for a host to
initiate and than drop a connection like this for various reasons

On the other hand
nmap -sS -n 192.168.1.101 -> is scanning 1000 ports, see
http://nmap.org/book/man-port-specification.html
so the IPS knows it's a scanning attempt.

So it's all about the configuration of the IPS, but triggering an
alert on each half-open connection is paranoid. There are several
other techniques to evade IPS and you can probably test them too:
http://nmap.org/book/man-bypass-firewalls-ids.html
(I would add to this the timing option)

On problem 2 run a tcpdump an the attacker host and see how packets
are formed and transmitted.

--
Dan Catalin VASILE
Pentest Romania