Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: auditing web/mail proxies

From: White Hat <whitehat237 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:06:17 -0500

Is the main threat internal, or external?

If it's internal, a few questions I would ask are:

Do they allow egress ICMP?
Do they allow egress SSH?
Do they allow egress DNS?

If they do allow these protocols out then an insider can probably
bypass the proxy with tools like icmptx, nstx, ssh tunneling, etc.

Do they control what browser clients use?
Does the proxy transparently redirect outbound http requests, or does
it rely on browser configuration?
Do they block sites like portable apps to prevent an insider from
using firefox portable which can be run without admin rights?

Is HTTPS allowed out un-proxied?  This opens up use of external https
proxies which can be used to access content that should be blocked
according to proxy policy.

Does the proxy intercept and re-issue certs?
I would argue that the security add provided by this is negated by
breaking the chain of trust with verified sites and the real CA.

In my experience, end users simply don't verify every cert, from every
site every time, they just simply click accept.

Hope this helps.