Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanning routines - what is overkill.

From: Duncan Alderson <duncan.alderson () webantix net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:55:17 +0100

Hi Cribbar,

I can see the auditors point but he may not be putting the best case forward.

If the organisation has a good security model in place with patching and hardening, there is still a need to scan the
whole environment. Look at it as a defence in depth scan. What happens if a rouge device is added to network? A change
on a device is added that has insecure consequences?

I know there can be other controls in place to stop this happening but you cannot rely on a silver bullet
product/process to secure your environment.

You will need hundreds of bullets for each threat scenario you are defending against.

My 2c

Webantix