Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Directory Traversal on File Upload

From: mcleano <almcer () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 10:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

I'm doing a pentest on a friends website that he made for coursework at uni
and i've come to a stop. I've gained access to an administrator account and
have access to a file upload facility which allows me to upload a php file
as there are no checks on the file type but the php file goes into an image
folder which I believe has the 'NoExec' option turned on in the Apache
configuration. The reason I think that is that when I try to access the php
page (which happens to be a reverse-shell) i get a 502 "server dropped
connection" error message. Clarification to that would be nice if anyone
knows? So my question is, is there anyway to upload to the parent directory
and how might I go about doing it? Or some kind of point in the right
direction?

Thank you. Regards,

Alan