Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: WAF Testing..suggestions??

From: bin4ry <bin4ry () theknetgroup org>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:58:44 +0200

Hey False,

one thing you should keep in mind: While i was pentesting mod_security
and a bunch of commercial WAFs, i recognized that most of the products
work pretty well with popular assessment tools (w3af, etc.). They
detectedmost of the attacks. Afterwards i setup a vulnerable website
and tried to manually attack it. There was a huge difference: A lot of
manuall attacks were not recognized. I guess this is because most of
those WAF vendors try to show how good their product is by running
automated pentests which such tools. Therefore their products seem to
be optimized for such scenarios.
So to really get a picture about a WAF's performance, handcrafted
attacks are a must!

Cheers