Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: OT: the detection of illegal gateways

From: "Demetris Papapetrou" <dpapapetrou () internalaudit gov cy>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 09:23:13 +0300

Hi all,

You can Ping the workstations in each subnet using a spoofed source IP
address. You need to do this from within your network (from different
locations depending on your filtering rules).
The spoofed IP will be the one utilized by a second machine you control on
the Internet. The workstations will receive the spoofed packets and they
will reply by sending their packets to the Internet through their default
gateway. If their default gateway is an unauthorized routing device then its
public IP address will be captured by your Internet connected machine.

You can assign a unique number to each packet to make it easier for you to
identify from which machine the reply originated.

Prerequisite: The offending workstations must be switched on, they must be
reachable from your location and they must reply to the packets you send
them.

Demetris Papapetrou
Internal Audit Officer

Republic of Cyprus
Internal Audit Service
Tel.: 22450386
email: dpapapetrou () internalaudit gov cy