Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Security Awareness for Kids

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:38:27 +0200

Hi,

Introducing: http://www.badpeopleproject.org

Security as it's taught to children is a mess. They get rules for everything, more than anyone should have to memorize, and the rules unfortunately hardly overlap from real world security to cybersecurity. We want to fix that and we need your help.

The Bad People Project is a collaborative community where kids, without any coaching, draw what they think a bad person looks like. As we put up more pictures we will be able to improve our understanding of security for kids from a cultural and regional point of view. This is then used to create open and free classroom materials for kids to build a strong foundation in security while crossing cultural boundaries where kids learn about other kids security and safety concerns.

ISECOM has a good track record in tackling difficult and abstract concepts to make a difference. We hope this will lead to making free materials for elementary schools to provide in class much like we did for Hacker Highschool. But we need to reach the first milestone before we can do anything else.

We need you to talk to the parents of children you know, talk to schools, and talk to after-school clubs (an Italian Judo class for kids submitted 8 pictures) to get kids to draw what they think bad people look like. Please get involved in making this a security awareness project that encompasses security online and offline for kids. Translations of the pdf are also welcome!

Thanks!

http://www.isecom.org/mirror/badpeopleproject.pdf

Sincerely,
-pete.

--
Pete Herzog - Managing Director - pete () isecom org
ISECOM - Institute for Security and Open Methodologies