Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Password Audit (AD Domain hashes)

From: Josh_smith <pentestuk__ () hotmail co uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:24:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guys,

I have just searched the old threads around password audits/auditing, and it
seems most have only focused on SAM dumps for local accounts. I wanted to
audit the hashes for AD domain member accounts that from my research live in
ntds.dit (not seen much info on the structure of this file). Are there any
tools that dump hashes from the AD Database ntds.dit so I can import them
into Cain/John/Ophcrack etc? PwdumpX sounded promising but havent got a
working copy and cannot find a download for it. I have used Pwdump7 which is
great but it only extracts data from SAM/SYSTEM registry hives and isnt
suitable for domain hashes in ntds.dit, however I havent heard of any tool
to get them...

Look forward to any replies as I am sure people have audited domain
passwords as opposed to local passwords?

Best Regards,

Josh