Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Properly Arp Cache Poisoning

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 05:45:07 -0500

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 14:50 -0200, Leandro Quibem Magnabosco wrote:

Recently I attempted an Arp Cache Poisoning to sniff over switched
connections.
The problem is that it works against my home computer but not against my
laptop.
When I try to sniff my laptop, it get DoS'ed.
Sniffing my Desktop it all goes smoothly.

What do you mean by "DoS'ed"? Does the OS become unresponsive? Does the
OS report an IP conflict? If you check the interface, is it still using
the correct IP address? What OS/version is on each system?

I've noticed Vista and later will sometimes shutdown if it detects
another system advertising the IP address it is using (like during an
ARP cache poisoning attack). This is your most likely root cause, but
additional clarification as to what happens to the laptop would be
helpful.

HTH,
--
www.chrisbrenton.org