Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Nessus, Harmful?

From: Jonathan Cran <jcran () 0x0e org>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:59:02 -0500

disclaimer, i work for rapid7, but if you're looking into nessus, you
should check out nexpose community edition:
http://www.rapid7.com/vulnerability-scanner.jsp.

agreed with most of the comments above. there's a lot of "it depends"
comments, which should give you an indication. The commercial
vulnerability scanners (nexpose, nessus, qualys, saint etc) have dealt
with this problem by disabling dangerous checks by default. it's not
/likely/ that you'll take anything down with default settings.

To respond to the vuln-scanning vs pentesting question, nexpose is a
vulnerability scanner ( albeit, a good one :p ), but it doesn't get
the depth of a pen test. - one useful thing, it can re-use credentials
found via one vector in another vector. For example, if creds are
found via brute forcing an SSH login, those credentials will then also
be submitted to other vectors such as HTTP / telnet / etc. - this will
get more depth than the majority of automated tools.

In short, vulnerability scanning is often used in pentesting to
quickly gather information about a network, but no automated device is
going to get you the same depth or accuracy as a person pentesting.

jcran

--
Jonathan Cran
jcran () 0x0e org