Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Penetration Testing Services

From: "Sherif Eldeeb" <archeldeeb () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:14:50 +0300

IMHO, you mixed "Vulnerability Assessment" with "Penetration Testing".
Firing Nessus, nmap, W3AF and nikto at an IP range, then going for a coffee waiting for them to finish, then printing
the logs for the management is barely considered an ill "Vulnerability Assessment", but I believe "penetration testing"
will simulate a real-world attack scenario that will include the whole "vulnerability assessment" phase as a step to
get to the final goal, bearing in mind that during a penetration test the process of vulnerability identification will
be as stealthy as possible and will most probably rely on manual techniques rather than noisy automated tools.

Penetration testing is conducted to know how the bad guys could infiltrate your network and exploiting every found
hole, not only testing your software's patch level, it will/should include every way to break in, i.e. Physical
security, Social engineering, manual web application assessment...etc.

Nessus will not detect the uneducated secretary who will open the mail-attachment from someone she doesn't know, or
prevent the stranger from plugging in his wireless access point to the unnoticed RJ45 plug behind the sofa in the
lobby... you got the idea.

Your confusion is understandable, since lots of so called "penetration testers" are actually "script kiddies" with nice
looking tuxedos who do no good other than what your security team is already doing, "real" penetration testers will
give you a detailed professional report highlighting other weaknesses as well...

Regards,
Sherif Eldeeb.