Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IP Spoofing/Masquarading

From: Marco Ivaldi <raptor () mediaservice net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:34:09 +0200 (ora legale Europa occidentale)

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, M.D.Mufambisi wrote:

I understand that IP packets can be spoofed ie change the source
address to make it look like they originated from the internal LAN.
However, when this is done across the internet, with a private IP
address in its source field, how does this packet get routed through
the internet?

The source field is not relevant to IP routing, only the destination is. I strongly suggest you to read "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 1" by W. Richard Stevens [1].

On the other hand, if proper egress filtering [2] is in place, you'll have trouble spoofing the source address of the packets leaving your network.

[1].
http://books.google.com/books?id=-btNds68w84C&lpg=PA37&ots=e-u0USRsms&dq=ip%20routing%20stevens&pg=PA37#v=onepage&q=&f=false
[2]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egress_filtering

Hope this helps,

--
Marco Ivaldi
Lead Security Analyst     Data Security Division