Penetration Testing mailing list archives

What Master or course to study in IT Security?

From: Carlos <zubero () teleline es>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:21:28 +0200

Hi list,

I'd like to have your point of view (or piece of advice) about this professional doubt:

After 5 years of experience as a Systems Administrator/Technician I'd like to move to IT Security, mostly to pen testing, assessment and analyzing and not support tasks. During these years, I've obtained a few related certifications. Also, I've been studying Computer Science at University and I'm now in my last course (I hope so). After this, I'd like to continue studying something more focused in IT Security and to start working in Security projects (at University or (non)private company). About studies, I'd rather something in the way of University education, maybe thinking in Researching (i. e. Criptography) in future. Then, I thought that a Master in Security could be a good choice, but I have the doubt whether it would be more effective to stop studying at University after graduating and to work harder to find an interesting job and to increase my knowledge by myself; if certifications are a better way or if Security Researching is not such an interesting professional way as I thought.

I found a few technical Masters and Graduate Programs with specialization in Security in some Universities that I took as a reference:
- Stanford --> http://cs.stanford.edu/degrees/mscs/classes/planning/
- Berkeley -->
- UAB (Spain) --> http://www.uab.es/servlet/Satellite/postgraduate/phd-s/engineering/general-information/Satellite?cid=1096480962610&pagename=UAB/Page/TemplatePageDetallEstudisPOP&param1=1096480164072

Thank you,