Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Encryption - Kerberos

From: "M.D.Mufambisi" <mufambisi () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:23:35 +0200

Hi people.

I have a question on encryption. When say a sentence such as "my name
is bruno" is encrypted, to say ciphertext "sakjkg6*672khkhkjhs
jhkhaskh" and sent to my friend stan....who then decrypts it....back
to "my name is bruno". Stan will be able to tell that he has
succesfully decrypted the ciphertext because he is human and the
resultant decrypted text makes sense to him right?
Now in the instance of kerberos, where there are no humans but
computers or services.....how does a service know that it has
succesfully decrypted ciphertext? I have seen that PGP can tell that a
text is succesfully decrypted. How does it do this? I hope my question
is clear.

Regards