Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Best Programming Language

From: "Fischer Lars" <l-fischer () dis-ag com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:30:38 +0100

Hi,

first I have to agree with all those who already stated that it depends on the job at hand, your personal preferences
and the framework you have to work in.

Can you share what is your programming language of choice, and
why?

Bash - never leave your house without,  I am often astonished what features are there that I have ignored for such a
long time and for which tasks you don't have to fire up some additional interpreter, plus there are some handy tools
that can be used easiest from the command line.
Python - for currying (loved that in Haskell), classes for complex tasks, curiosity because some well-skilled friends
       used it, and one needs at least one scripting language
C - grown up with it, manpages are plenty, it is THE classical not-too-low-level language for OSes and almost everyone
uses its syntax/libs as a corner-stone for his language (at least to distinguish oneself from it, but why use a
different word for "if" or "while" if most people intuitively grasp its meaning)
C++ - if it is a larger thing to do that needs classes
NASM - low-level-manipulations will never work without some Assembler

I don't shun Java, I simply never got the knack of it, but people are doing great work in it. Basically I am doing some
kind of C-ish stuff when I am forced to do Java. I'd like to have somewhat more Ruby, because Metasploit is using it. I
used Perl for a while and still like it now and then, and most RegExps are using Perl-ish syntax.

Regards,
        Lars