Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Unknown Port at LevelOne WBR3460B

From: Jan Germann <jan () jans-site de>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:07:00 +0200

If it wasn't a port forward setup by you, is there a section for
remote admin capabilities?

The administration is done with a simple web-based tool at port 80 on
the router. There is a section but it's not enabled.

If it is really *your router* and you want to take your chances, I
think that the best way to go is to "jail-break" the router, get a
root shell on it, and try to see if you can figure out what process is
running on that port. If you have the time and skills, you might also
be able to reverse engineer the binary that binds to that port.

Hm... I thought of trying to jail-break it before, but im unsure.
The easiest way to jail-break it would be to replace the firmware I
think. But that sounds risky because I would have to replace the current
firmware. I'm not a gambler when it comes to my own networkequipment.

So i don't realy know where to start. I tryed to fuzz the router from
the network, but without results. Than I tried to fuzz it from the
admin-interface, without usable results too.

The only otherway I know then is the firmware, but i don't like the look
of it.

cheers