Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Windows Patch Auditing & "File and Print Sharing" disabled

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:03:34 -0700

WSUS is a "pull" technology - it relies on the workstations contacting
it for updates, and calculates patches needed based on that
conversation. The difficulty with this is that you have to push
settings to each machine to 1) enable/activate Automatic Updates and
BITS,  and 2) point AU to the machine running WSUS.

That's very doable in a couple of different ways (logon script, if
users are admins, or GPO regardless), but it's extra steps, and
perhaps beyond the scope of pentesting.

Kurt