Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Scriptable defense question

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:36:14 -0700

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:13, Fred H <sectester () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi All,

here is a scenario that has come up.
Lets says there is a generic server that is on a dmz, and there are many password attempts on the server.  Is there a
tool that would allow for a tcp reset, or connection drop , or possible bar future sessions from that IP?
I am thinking of a script that parses a log, looks for repeated attempts from the same IP, and then calls a tool that
drops the connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

 Fred Hamilton
Information Security Analyst 2
Financial Sector

Which platform?

If Linux or FreeBSD, there's fail2ban among others

If Windows, I'm not aware of anything like that, which doesn't mean
that something like that doesn't exist.

Kurt