Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Programming SKills for PT...?

From: Joe Hlasnik <jhlasnik () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 20:35:51 -0400

Hi

I also am fairly new to the security realm I have been working on
firewalls, internet/dmz networks, proxies, IPS, & VPN technologies for
about 1.5 yrs myself.  I too am fascinated by the other side be it pen
testing, vuln assessments, etc.  In college when I was doing my
undergrad I avoided C/C++ and only took intro to java and VB.net. Now
I regret that as I struggled thus far in my masters because of it.  I
bit the bullet and took a data structures course and have learned to
really enjoy C and the way it works.  I'm by far still a novice but I
can get the job done when needed, for a course or whatever. Anyway to
answer your questions from someone trying to do the same:

 1. What are the programming/scripting languages needed to accompolish
 the above?
I have been told like others have said to learn C/C++ inside out,
python/perl are good to have in your arsenal as well, also assembly as
well.  From what I have noticed thought is once you become proficient
in one language the others come much easier than the first.

 2. I see most of the real hackers are well proficient in almost all of
 the the technologies like Networking, Application/WebApplcn testing, OS
 etc. Is it so...?
The best part about security is that you get to dabble in a bit of
everything, I would never be completely happy doing just one thing in
my position, just knowing you can deal with so many different
technologies since security can tie into everything now.
 3. Are there any other skills/requirements that you can suggest to be a
 successful Hacker?
In my personal opinion a good drive, a thirst to constantly be
learning and bettering yourself, and having the ability to quickly
adapt and catch on to new things are extremely important.  In my
opinion they are pretty much necessary to be really good, but that
just my opinion.

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Swaminathan, Balaji