Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Best attack strategy for a Red Team?

From: Mike Acker <macker () internap com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:31:09 -0700

Guys,

'Read a book' provides nothing of value. This is a fun competition, and
as red team captian of the Pacific Rim CCDC last year, we had everyone
from professional pentester to forensics analysis to a  few poeple who
were simply interested and really didnt do anything. Our competition
covered 5 states, and this year wining team is supposed to go onto
nationals in TX.

That being said, looking for folks in Seattle who want to participate on
the red team March 28th-29th. Email me directly for info or the vid of
last year, my server will get crushed.

I find hiding a magnets a bit funny, I won't even go into that. These
competitions are great learning tools, which many of us in our younger
years did not have the opportunity for. Anyone responded thus far, it is
doubtful they have participated in one (who uses magnets?).

Students get a series of 'injects', while they have to defend against
the red team. Injects are typically daily tasks, such as 'company had a
merger, add these people, remove these, set up email for this persom,
etc. The 'pods' (i.e. typically about 10 computers) are equal for all
teams, but the ports, services, etc change over team depending on
configurations and injects. These pods run a number of services, ports,
etc.

For strategy, you need to be fair to each team. So if a hack is
sucessful on one 'pod' or university, do the same to each one of the
others. The goal IS NOT to stop services/downtime, though they loose
points, the goal is to have creative fun hacks, turn in a paper to the
scorers, and they keep track of it - those all effect points. Show them
whats really possible - DOS/DdOS is just lame, as are releasing viruses
(not allowed per rules).

It doesnt make sense for 10 red team members to go in and start nmapping
all the boxes - one person map out the network first, you will be
provided an IP
range of boxes so you dont attack the scoring engine. Take it from
there. I would disagree that going through milw0rm was the best
approach, if you want the quickest way, use backtrack + autopwn or
fast-track. Read a book too, but anyone is welcome to be part of any
team. Everyone started somewhere. The best things are the small things,
some examples:

- - flip their screen upside down, no downtime

- - Leave a text file on the desktop saying fuck you

- - take over their dns and use it for yourself

- - check out the 'white team people' - they give out the injects... we
brought a
printer, duplicated the injects, and had some random dude (who we gave a
matching shirt too) our fake injects, instructing them to set up
accounts for us. Some bought it. Easy access, have fun from there.

- - Once in a box, upload a complete vpc image created beforehand, and
upload it to a box. Hide it using a rootkit so its undetectable, unless
they run things like blacklight or a couple others. Do it to multiple
boxes, then create a networked botnet out of virtual OS machines - fun
stuff.

- - Once in, do something like crank up the volumne and play something
inappropiate - that one always gets them.

I can't even count how many students came up to us after the competition
last year to shake our hand, eeryone just had sooo much fun. And some go
to DC, blackhat and stuff but for many, it was their deciding factor to
focus strictly on security.

Let's face it, none of us are going to be around forever.

Thats my thoughts, sorry if anyone is offended.

- -macker

Scott