Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IPS arguments

From: Micheal Cottingham <techie.micheal () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 20:46:28 -0500

Touche. :)

But ... I'll argue that if hardening and least-privilege isn't
followed, is it really defense in depth? Just thought I'd throw that
out there.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM, JoePete <security-focus () joepete com> wrote:
Here's Catch-22: If we really believed in "defense in-depth," then would
we need IPS to begin with?

With rare exception, the problem is, for whatever reason, we have
implemented systems throughout an organization with far too many
vulnerabilities and permissions. If we believed in defense in-depth,
then we would also believe in least privilege, but clearly the fact that
every secretary in America is on Yahoo Messenger, MySpace, etc. means
that we skipped right over that. So too is it that the most popular
combination of OS and browser in corporate America is a perfect storm of
infosec vulnerability, but we roll out 20,000-plus networks of these
combinations because ... well that's the question, why do we do it?

Since we have punted on the individual systems that comprise the
network, we throw everything we have at the perimeter. Invariably when
someone gets through the perimeter and has free run inside the network.
Rather than fixing the network, we just look for another appliance to
layer on at the perimeter. Defense in-depth is a nice a concept, but as
applied, it more often than not becomes defense via duct tape -- just
keep slapping on another piece rather than fixing what's underneath.
IMHO :-)

--
JoePete