Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Penetration Test Report

From: "Frye, Dan" <Dan.Frye () cedarcrestone com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:30:28 -0400

I agree with your points on a report being simple and direct without the
"fluff" that seems to be regarded as necessary by some (most?) PT
vendors (I've already bought the service, I don't need the sales pitch
on what your other offerings are or 4 pages of company history).

Something I would add is that PT vendors habitually provide a "report"
but a "report" isn't what I really need (you are correct that in most
org's "the report serves to justify the derived value around these
parts"). In every PT/VA they *always* come back with something, even if
it's a couple pages of informational "you shouldn't do this" which for
some business reason or another you've been forced to accept on your
LAN/WAN. However, it's always necessary as security manager/CSO/CISO to
take that information and go evaluate it - is the business case still
valid? But a report doesn't help me do that - it gives me a 70 page
document to give to management, who doesn't read it because it's 70
pages and then I have to make heads or tails from it. Assuming you have
some critical, highs, etc in there too makes it even more important to
go evaluate the report contents.

What I really need (speaking as a generic security manager) is
"actionable documentation". Taking my target audience into
consideration, here's what I can find useful.

- An executive report no more than 2 pages in length which I can use as
a talking agenda during a 15 minute briefing. Graphs like "attack
complexity vs mean time to patch" helps identify the quick wins with the
most risk, "% breakdown of criticality levels (critical, high, low,
etc)" to speak to the criticality of our specific attacks, etc. There
are a lot of neat ways to cut up the metrics to help get your point
across to Exec mgmt but a 70 page report is not it.

- A working list of vulnerabilities, their priority, with extra columns
of team ownership (unix, dba, windows, etc). If I got the report you
submitted as part of a real engagement the tables in section 6.4 would
immediately be copied into a spreadsheet, I'd tack on a few columns
specific for my environment like owner, due date, status update, handler
notes, etc, then send to my department heads. So why make that extra
step? Provide that report in an XLS already, easily modifiable, and you
just saved me half a day of copy and paste work. Maybe a DB extract as
well, although it's pretty trivial to export from xls to a csv and
import in your vuln tracking system.

- Break down the vulns in multiple ways. Most PT/VA vendors do it by
criticality, but that doesn't help show me the real picture of my
environment. Are all the high vulns in my web application, and all the
lows in my Unix servers? At least make a stab at trending the data. Even
applying 30 minutes to looking for patterns will pay its weight in gold
with a client. Help them find their process flaws - better server
patching, a particular application that has the majority of the holes,
etc. is where you can really derive good business intelligence, past the
specific action items of remediating the vulns found. And that adds
value to you as an organization which differentiates you from your
competitors.

- Send me something I can modify - doc, csv, xls. PDF is great... but a
bear to transform into what I can disseminate internally to my teams,
management, etc. I wouldn't even suggest sending a 70 page report out to
a non-security guy/gal.

- Examples, screenshots, how-to. That's in the doc towards the back and
is good info - nothing proves your point better than a real example.
Most times mgmt or the business unit will look at you and say "prove it"
or "show me" and those go a long way towards getting them to take
action.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps,

Daniel