Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Cross-company collaboration

From: "Jonathan Cran" <jcran () 0x0e org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:50:00 -0700

All,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 04:47:41PM -0700, Erin Carroll wrote:
The recent thread from Adriel on verifying your security providers
jogged a thought that's been at the back of my mind for a bit: Have
you ever worked or collaborated with another pen-test company on
projects? How did it work out? What prompted the collaboration effort?
How did you manage the relationship with "the competition" and was it
a successful engagement (financial or otherwise)? How did you find/choose who
to work with?

It's interesting and timely that this issue is raised on the pen-test list. I'll be giving a talk at B-Sides Las Vegas
on collaborative pentesting and specifically on some tools we've (rapid7) modified / developed to enable it. The talk
is based around something we call pentest-console or ptc, which is really just an alias for the following:

Server:
 - Trac/Svn as the basis (which is really a development project tracking software)
 - Custom "template" projects to speed typical projects (such as a 5-day, or 10-day pentest)
 - Custom shell scripts to augment project creation
 - Various parsers to pull data into trac (tickets / wiki)
 - Toolkit in svn

Client:
 - Eclipse as a front-end
 - Mylyn for Trac-Ticket Integration (and possibly time-tracking)

These tools were developed to help us better maintain methodology, and re-use existing work. However, it turns out that
they're quite useful for collaboration / communication during a pentest, scalability to large teams, automatic
report-gen and various other nice-to-haves.

You can find more info on the talk here: http://www.securitybsides.com

---

To answer your other, more business-oriented questions, however:

 Q: Have you ever worked or collaborated with another pen-test company on projects?