Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Testing Middleware Application

From: Robinson DELAUGERRE <rdelaugerre () sdninternational com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:37:25 +0200 (CEST)

Ow come ON! You sniff the traffic only if you can, and you can manipulate it as much as you want , if proper input
validation has been made, you won't be able to do anything.
To answer OP, I hope you have validated your app against:
    -XSS (do you output anything to the user based on its input? Do you filter it?)
    -Remote code exec (is your server hardened enough?)
    -SQL Injection (if relevant, may be far fetched, but if some of the input makes its way into a database query, make
sure you filter it)
One of my mottos is that client-side security doesn't exist. So you must (as Mervyn suggested) suppose that an xml file
will be injected in your app without any client side validation. Therefore, you should be certain that all input from
the xml is filtered (whitelisted) server-side.

Pointers to pen test the app? OWASP disc. If nothing comes from all the apps included in this, you'll be safe from the
skiddies. The 2 rest is up to you.
What kind of attacker do you expect?
Will he allow a few minutes, some days, or a few month to try and hack your app? Then you'll know what you have to
protect yourself against..

My 2 cents anyway..

rob'