Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Scanner for old files (.bak, ~, .old, etc.)

From: Robin Wood <dninja () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:03:07 +0100

2009/6/30 Juan Kinunt <kinunt () gmail com>:
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone knows a tool that first spiders the web
in order to enumerate al files and scripts it detects and then look
for this same files but with another extension. For example, first
spiders the web and enumerate:

index.php
news.php
cart.php

And then looks for index.php.bak, index.php.inc, index.php~,
index.bak, index.old, etc.

This tool will be useful supossing that programmers tend to change the
extension of the file to store old files.

I know Nikto, Wikto, etc... but this tools look for predefined files
and I would like to target already existing files but with different
extension.

If the tool does not exist I'll try to code something.

Thanks.

Webscarab can do this, find a page on the site then go to the
Extensions tab where you can specify a list of extensions. The spider
then goes off and checks the site and for all the pages it finds it
tries them with the extra extensions.

Robin