Penetration Testing mailing list archives

TSGrinder and mstsc version 6 - try this work around

From: AJC <ajc.texas () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:26:41 -0600

A while back I encountered an issue when using TSGrinder:

C:\usr\sbin\tsgrinder
tsgrinder -u administrator -b -n 2 192.168.1.5
timed_Event_send_recv: Wait failed: TIMEOUT
Couldn't get handle to client window

I was busy and didn't have time to mess with it and it still worked on
one of my other computers.

Over the holidays things were slow, so I decided it was time to look
into why I got the error.  Turns out my first machine was fully patched
and the older moth-balled box wasn't.  The problem is due to the upgrade
of mstsc during a windows update.

The workaround in a nutshell:

Download & Unzip TSGrinder
Obtain and place a copy of mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll version
5.1.2600.2800 (you may be able to find it in an $NTUninstall under
%windir%) in the same directory as TSGrinder.

Place the following text in a new file called tsgrinder.exe.manifest

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
 version="6.0.0.0"
 processorArchitecture="x86"
 name="redirector"
 type="win32"
/>
<description>DLL Redirection</description>
<dependency>
 <dependentAssembly>
   <assemblyIdentity
     type="win32"
     name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
     version="6.0.0.0"
     processorArchitecture="X86"
     publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
     language="*"