Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Government RFID busted

From: Al Rivas <ARivas () hyphensolutions com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:10:20 -0600

I would say Dan's war drive was useful.  And those that would clone those documents would probably find the technique
quite useful.  Yes, RFID is doing what it's supposed to but I'd put over 90% of people don't realize that their
information available to cloning this easily.  We (sec pros, technogeeks, etc) form only a small percentage of the
population.  Knowing the bear **** in the woods is only useful because it is a common frame of reference.  Unless we
inform the general public that their/our information is accessible this way, we will be the only ones that even know
the bear exists.

It would be useless to see another gov program spend billions on something which is supposed to increase security but
instead has security holes in it then say after the fact, "but that's the way it works."