Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: CEH or OSCP?

From: David Schekaiban <david () schekaiban com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:30:06 -0600

VK,

As far as my experience in CEH (I've been teaching this course for about
1 year), you don't need to be a professional or even work in the
security front of your company. The course (typically 1 week from 9 to
5, aprox. 40 hours) starts with a very basic introduction, going from
"what is hacking?" all the way to "why, how, who's" of the hacking
process.

We review a lot of tools and help out students realize what kind of
threats and the impact this can have on an enterprise. This is not a
network defense course btw.

OSCP is a great course but you really need to know what you are doing,
because it is not very clear on the basic stuff, although as someone
already mentioned, the videos and labs are amazing and you get to code
some very useful programs and utilities.

My 2 cents. Have a nice day.

David Schekaiban, CISA, CISM, CISSP, CEH, ECSA
david () codigoverde com