Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Conficker - your opion on how to determine the source of infection on a given network

From: "Tiflin, Conrad (ZA - Cape Town)" <ctiflin () deloitte co za>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:55:01 +0200

Quick Question to all.

I would like to identify the SOURCE computer where the "downadup.a" worm variant originated a given network which has
been infected.

Minimal thinking tells me that I should search for the computer that's running an HTTP server between ports [1024 and
10000] - the result may be the source.

Anyone else have better ideas to determine the source computer on a network from which conficker originated?

./CT