Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Linux NULL pointer dereference

From: arpunk <arpunk () cyberdelic org>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:01:12 -0500

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Camilo Uribe<camilo.uribe () gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Ben Greenfield<bcg () struxural com> wrote:
Now, back to some real pen-test stuff.... Anyone had a chance to leverage
the recent Linux NULL pointer dereference bug in proto_ops in an engagement?

I have not yet had the chance to use this in an engagement, but I feel
like this is one that's going to be around for a _long time_ because
of how many different versions are affected.

Also, I've done some testing with this vulnerability, and haven't been
able to get it working against Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on an AMD64.  My
understanding is that all architectures are vulnerable... has anyone
had any success against AMD64 with this?

On all the x86 platforms I've tested it against (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x86,
Debian 5 x86, Xen virtualized 2.6 linux x86) it worked as expected and
resulted in local privilege escalation to root.

The USN(Ubuntu Security Notice) http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-819-1
says: "By default, Ubuntu 8.04 and later with a non-zero
/proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr setting were not vulnerable"

Funny... we just owned one in Casa del Bosque today ;)

--
No matter where you go, everyone's connected.