Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Skills needed to become a Security Expert and Penetration Tester?

From: bartlettNSF <bartlettNSF () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:23:18 -0400

Stephen Mullins wrote:
I don't think any of those things will actually lead to getting a job
as a Pen Tester.  Figure out what employers actually want and then try
to match your skills and resume as closely as possible.

In other words, there is a list of skills you need to be legitimately
qualified (programming, in depth networking/protocol knowledge, etc.)
and then there is a list of "skills" (usually knowledge of a specific
set of GUI tools) employers want; these are not the same thing.  I
suggest you put out a resume and try to get some interviews for
Information Security jobs that you know you're not qualified for.  Use
them as informational interviews to figure out what employers are
looking for.  Could be embarrassing, but look at it as an early start
to your Pen Testing career, using social engineering attacks against
employers to eventually "penetrate" their defenses and have one of
them hire you.  Brush up on your acting skills and go into the
interviews with a specific plan of what you want to find out and how
to approach things.

Someone on this list mentioned "Pen Testing" HR/hiring processes
yesterday.  Sounds like this is a chance for you to do some field work
in this subject area.

Steve