Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: User Agent XSS anyone?

From: Luca Carettoni <luca.carettoni () ikkisoft com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:36:07 +0200

On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Zack Payton wrote:
Hi all,

I was just curios if anyone was aware of any interesting ways to
exploit user-agent based xss.
I suppose it would be easy in conjunction with HTTP response
splitting, but is anyone aware of any other vectors beside those
present in custom browser extensions?
I am interested in hearing about all vectors though, even those in
custom browser extensions.

Just few weeks ago I was testing an ASPX app with a similar problem.
Basically, it uses the User-Agent header in order to detect the user's browser
since most of the selection tabs work with IE only.
I was using Firefox and I got the warning: "Your browser (Mozilla/5.0) may be
not compatible with...". The version number made me suspicious and, finally,
I was able to inject something like "Mozilla/<XSS> ".

Cheers,
Luca

--
NibbleSecurity