Penetration Testing mailing list archives

tunneling through hotspot firewall

From: Daniel Gultsch <daniel () gultsch de>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:35:51 +0200

Hey guys,

this is my first posting on this mailling list. I kinda hope this is
the right place. However lets get to the point.

Suppose I'd have an unencrypted  wireless lan with an dhcp server and a
router integreted in the access point. By default a firewall is
blocking all traffic coming from clients and going to the outside
world. When one of the clients logs in on in internal website (also on
the access point) the client's IP-address will be white listed in the
firewall. As soon as the client logs out again his IP will be removed
from the whitelist, preventing the client from connecting to the outside
world. (Login in this case means payment, but thats another story)
All in all: it's a usual hotspot like the ones one can find on airports,
hotels and elsewhere.
Ok, lets further suppose I'd have on succesfully logged in (and
whitelisted) client). An evil attackers joins the notework as well -
not beeing able to connect to the outside world (because of the
firewall) but beeing able to sniff all the traffic (it's an unencrypted
wlan which means hub, basicly). Suppose the attacker would sniff the
mac address and the ip address of the whitelisted, logged in client and
give hiself the very same mac address and ip address (both easily can
be assigned with a simple ifconfig). Suppose the attacker would go on
and set up a firewall on his computer preventing all packages TCP, IP,
UDP and everything else from being both recieved or send. (Simple
iptables rules). He then opens a very tiny whole in his own firewall
(some strange udp port, which is definitly not used by the other (real)
client) and uses this udp port to tunnel to an external server

Would this work? Or if not on which layer would it fail. This is
basicly about Layer 1 and 2. What happens if two clients with the same
MAC address share a shared medium like wireless lan. The rest starting
of Layer 4 should definitly work (I'm familar enough with these layers
to say this. I'm just not sure about the underlaying layers.

Thanks for the input.

cheers Daniel