Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: setting up a lab

From: Claudio Criscione <blackfireml () securenetwork it>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:26:14 +0200

On Sunday 07 September 2008 19:07:04 Michael Kitange wrote:
hi guys,
i am looking for tips on creating my own pen-test lab. i've got two
computest. one xp and the other one zenwalk. i've got a router

Hello Micheal
 I think you're going the wrong way on this one. It actually depends on what
you're going to test, but as long as you're not going to test kernel level
stuff (which, I'm told, is not working as it should under a virtual
environment) you should definitly go for virtualization. Choose one of the
machines (or both) and install Ubuntu server or any other lightweight server
distribution with VMware/anyvirtualstuff support, then install every OS as a
virtual machine. It will save you time and you will be able to run more OSes
at once.

i'd also like to know what tools should i use to test and some good
vulnerable servers. i'm currently downloading backtrack3.

Well, you should start with some old Win and Linux versions, but it really
depends on what you are going to test. If you're more into the web
application stuff, it's quite easy to find vulnerable ones: just look for old
versions.
Should you prefer more old-style hacking, try with
https://www.securinfos.info/old-softwares-vulnerable.php (went through this
list some time ago).

--
Claudio Criscione