Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Scanning through an IPS

From: natron <natron () invisibledenizen org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:47:35 -0500

Remember that IDS/IPS is basically using pattern matching to determine
if you're bad or not.  If you match that pattern above a certain
threshold, you get hit by the IPS and your IP address is blocked.  As
such, if you want your traffic to get through, you need to a) make it
look as much like normal traffic as you can or b) make it look like
something the IPS doesn't understand.  "B" is usually a moving target,
"A" isn't always.

To directly answer your question, I prefer -sT nmap scans initially
(connect scans, not SYN scans), I only look at a select number of
ports, and I put large delays in between sending packets.  Keep the
traffic low and most IDS/IPS will ignore you.

After I've gathered a fair amount of information via "A" (say, over
the course of 3-7 days of scanning), I'll play with "B" and see what I
can get through.