Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Data carving exploit from pcap file

From: redb0ne () hush com
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:45:02 -0400

ok if this sequence makes sense, I can easily see the nops 90 90
90 etc
shellcode would come after that, could probably google the hex to
try
and validate that it was in fact shellcode....

I wouldn't bother. You could probably create a binary file with the
hex and put it into a disassembler to see what the shellcode is
doing.

If there are a ton of NOPs though, then it more than likely is
shellcode.

the beginning of the nops would be the end of the sploit...

Not necessarily.

Memory corruption vulnerabilities like buffer overflows can be
exploited any number of ways, it isn't always (and in this day and
age is very infrequently going to be) just dumping a bunch of data
into a buffer.

How would I identify the beginning of the sploit?

It would help if you provided more information, the dump especially
:)

What protocol is it?

The idea I've been playing with would be to do "follow tcp stream"
in
wireshark...but I'm not sure that will accurately finger the
beginning
of the exploit.

What you are asking is very unreasonable, we need more information
to help you. Like I said earlier, please remember that exploits
take a number of different forms and are more often than not going
to be a lot more than just a long string with shellcode in it. So
the start of the NOPs isn't necessarily going to be the end of the
exploit, in a lot of cases the shellcode could be put into a
location that is completely different from where the vuln is.

Take a look at the protocol being exploited, then go from there. If
it is RPC, Google the RPC interface for vulnerabilities, if it is a
file then do the same for the file format. Things like this take
research and there is no silver bullet.

I know I'd be more than happy (as would others) to help, but we
need a dump. Also, wouldn't this be more appropriate for incidents@?

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Jk