Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [FDE] Information leakage with publicly visible hash/signature

From: Dave Howe <DaveHowe.Pentest () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:01:47 +0000

John wrote:
Hi all,

(Apologies for asking two questions in quick succession on this
mailing list: they were similar but distinct so I thought I should put
two posts up. As before, any help is greatly appreciated).

The software I'm writing sends an encrypted file to a peer for safe
keeping (for data backup purposes). The peer never needs to decrypt
the file - only the sender knows the key.

The peer also is sent metadata about the file for later recovery.

My question is this: is there any harm in sending, in plaintext, the
hash of the *original* plaintext file to the peer? This would be used
when recovering the file to make sure it has been safely decrypted
etc. Assume the hash would be cryptographically secure (i.e. SHA256).

Conditionally, yes. it can be used for massively distributed trial
decryption to verify that the trial was correct. However, in practical
terms, no, as encryption schemes often include inband checksums anyhow.

depends on your attack model, really.