Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Mitigate FTP

From: Craig Wilson <cwilson () ppilearning com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:39:21 +0100

Hi Sarah,

If they are in Mexico, US or Canada and you are not in any of those then the chances of the sniffing the wire is so
remote as not to be worth considering.  If they are trying to brute-force the password then your clients best bet is to
enforce a strong password policy - set the passwords to lock after a given number of false attempts and install an IDS
to either alert of confine the traffic.

If they are always coming from the same network blocks then you could block them at the Firewall.  If it's just
password attempts, then I'd not worry too much.  It's worth ensuring that the server itself is full patched and that
the IIS services are setup in such a way as to negate the possibility of anything being ran on the server itself should
they crack a password.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Craig