Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: hash-injection/pass-the-hash countermeasure

From: "Baykal, Adnan (CSCIC)" <adnan.baykal () cscic state ny us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:14:02 -0500

I am sorry but can you explain how pass the hash is not defended against using the two factor authentication?

in two factor authenticaion, if attacker gains access to your password hash and can inject it into the authentication
process, they are still missing the second piece.

I strongly believe that a two facto authentication is a solution to pass the hash issue.

that is my two cents....

This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named.  If you are not an
intended recipient you are not authorized to disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.